Ways To Get Better Sleep: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do In The Bedroom
Looking for ways to get better sleep? Maybe it’s time to make sure your bedroom is conducive to sleep. Here are 5 things we shouldn’t do in the bedroom. If you can’t sleep, let’s start with making your bedroom as peaceful, calming and relaxing as possible.
That means, there are some things that have no business in our bedrooms.
If you can’t sleep, maybe your bedroom activities are contributing to your lack of sleep. What? Wait, let’s look at how to sleep better by taking a good look at what we do in the room that should be our sanctuary.
There are (at least) 5 things that we should not do in our bedrooms. These things keep our bodies or our minds occupied, alert and unable to relax. So, today we’ll take a look at some ways to get better sleep by avoiding some activities.
5 Things We Should Not Do In The Bedroom
1. Exercise – Don’t keep your exercise equipment in the bedroom. That’s right, that treadmill or exercise bike has no business in the room where you’re trying to sleep. I know we all have the best intentions of hopping on the treadmill first thing in the morning, right? Having exercise equipment in your bedroom can have you staring at it, feeling guilty and blue for not working out like you should and well…there goes any thought of falling asleep.
Exercising immediately before going to bed is going to interfere with sleep too. You’ll be all ‘pumped up,’ meaning your blood pressure will be up.
In the hour or two before going to bed, you want to gradually relax and prepare your body to go to sleep.
2. Housework – If you didn’t finish putting away the laundry, don’t leave it in the bedroom. Looking at it will just keep you stressed and keep you from falling asleep. So make it a habit to keep laundry in progress, as well as any cleaning supplies and equipment out of your bedroom. If you’re always tired, it’s no wonder! You can’t sleep because you’re stressing yourself out over the reminders of unfinished housework.
3. Use the computer – Aside from the fact that there always seems to be a little light somewhere on a computer that will keep trying to get your attention all nite, if you want to fall asleep faster and sleep better, keep the computer out of the bedroom. That goes for tablets, beepers and cell phones too. Technology is a wonderful thing, I’m the first to agree. But you don’t need to be connected 24 hours a day.
4. Watch television – I don’t know which is the bigger distraction, the computer or the television. Taking the TV out of the bedroom is one of the first things to try if you want to sleep better. We watch the news. We watch the late show. We watch a movie. Then we wonder why we’re always tired! Watching the news when you’re trying to go to sleep will only raise your stress level. Television – out of the bedroom.
5. Eat – Munching into the wee hours will not only get crumbs in the bed, but it will keep you from sleeping well. Digestion takes energy and if your body is busy working on those cookies you’re noshing on, you will not be able to sleep.
Does it all sound drastic? It felt drastic too. These are the ‘insomnia cures’ I used to get better sleep myself: I stopped doing these things in my bedroom. It’s all still a work in progress, but my insomnia is better than it was before.
I was guilty of having ALL of those things in my bedroom. It was like I never let my body relax and then I wondered why I couldn’t fall asleep.
The television was the hardest to learn to live without. I thought I was used to letting it put me to sleep. And of course, watching TV meant I was snacking too.
Sometimes we don’t notice the things we do that keep us from a good night’s sleep. Are you doing any of these things? Are you having trouble sleeping?
How to Sleep Better
I hope these 5 tips help you get a good night’s sleep. Good Night!